Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Origin of the name "MyHogHoney"

We have owned a number of small powerboats under 23', including three antique wooden boats that I (and a good friend on one) restored. One of our favorites was this 1948 Chris Craft 22' Sportsman that we owned for 10 years. It was delivered to Green Bay Marine Mart new in summer 1948, six months before I was born. When I got her she was in pieces, It took me about 3 winters to bring her back, Cathie and I doing all the work ourselves. Cathie sewed, I replaced wood and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and filled the grain in preparation for staining and varnishing.I then stained and varnished and sanded (12 times - spraying on 12 coats of varnish). The Chris was made of Mahogany and sounded like a Harley (which I have always been a bit partial to) - hence we named her "MyHogHoney"...
She was a sweet boat (and hopefully she still is as we sold her in summer 2007)...

All a mess in my garage...
Our chauffeur Eric giving us a ride off Door County


The 130 HP model M Chris Craft engine.

Shortly after we finished her...








At the Sister Bay Wooden Boat show. It was quite a ride getting there as it blew pretty hard while we were underway.




A photo taken shortly before she was sold







Just before the new owner picked her up. A sad day....

No comments:

Post a Comment