Buddy was appointed the photo/chase boat for the Tall Ships Challenge Race of 118 miles down the West coast of Lake Michigan from Sturgeon Bay to Racine. The race was sponsored by the American Sail Trainng Association Tall Ships Challenge
We got up early, picked up our crew and headed out the Ship Canal to the Lake. We put 22 nautical miles under the keel chasing the Tall Ships around at the start. At one point, it was a bit uncomfortable as I had manuevered between two ships after the start of the race for some closeups. I wish I had a video of it but I was busy at the helm trying to keep from being squished...Russick Smith, a crewman that had just finished a 6 month tour of duty on the Pride of Baltimore, was the photographer on the bow shooting photos like crazy. Brian Stagner, representing the American Sail Training Association, was right behind him. The photos here are quick ones I took while trying to stay out of the way...
There were 9 ships in total that were entered in the race. There was also a Russian built ocean racer that was being sailed by the Polish Sailing Team.




No comments:
Post a Comment