After owning Buddy for about 5 1/2 years and putting 800 hours on the 1998 Yamaha 50 High Thrust engines, we decided to make a long term commitment to the boat. Those that know me know that I don't normally make long term commitments to boats... But we have.
Buddy works well for us at this point in our lives. This past June we sold our Corsair Marine F-24 after owing it a bit less than three years. We loved the boat and design (we have also owned an F-27 and F-31 besides a healthy assortment of monohulls and racing dinghies), but it was time to move on. We're still very much sailors and almost immediately purchased a smaller trimaran (Weta Trimaran), a wonderful little boat that allows us to still experience a few thrills. Anyone who has sailed a soft water boat over 22 knots will know where we are coming from... In our past NOrthern life we were also Iceboat sailors and still own one (although I don't know when it will ever be used by us again). Anyway, I digress...
We have re-powered Buddy with a new pair of Yamaha F70 outboards. Although we are still breaking them in, I am happy to report much better performance than the old 50 High Thrusts. Throughout the RPM range above 3200 RPM the boat is about 2.5 knots faster. We are now able to run over 10 knots at 3200 RPM and 14 knots at 3800 RPM. WOT is now over 22 knots. This allows us to actually save on fuel vs. the older engines. While I haven't yet sprung for a NMEA link to our Garmin 740s for fuel management information, I am estimating at least 4 miles per gallon at 14 knots.So far the only unpleasant thing about our decision to re-power was writing the check...

No comments:
Post a Comment