Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Cool...

When we purchased Buddy approximately Six-and-a-half years ago one of the first things I added was a propane furnace to warm us in cool Wisconsin summers. After moving to SW Florida about 4 years ago, I finally decided a roof-mounted AC unit was in order. I considered a water-cooled unit but decided a roof AC unit would better fit our needs. I ended up purchasing a marinized 9200 BTU Coleman Cub. 



After measuring and remeasuring,  I cut the 14" x 14" hole in the roof. I then dug out the balsa core and packed the space with thickened epoxy.



The hardest part of the install was running power to the unit. I removed the conduit I had made for the TV power cord and antenna and fabricated new larger conduit.



In that the AC unit took the space on the roof formerly occupied by a 65 watt solar panel, I devised a way of mounting the panel to the cover of the AC unit using pull pin deck hinges. Using short struts I can raise the rear to the panel when the AC is in use so the air flow isn't restricted.


I am happy to report my 2000 watt generator runs the AC unit just fine! It was over 90 degrees the day I tested the AC unit's output.


 There is still room to carry our 10' inflatable on the roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment